Saturday, March 1, 2014

Chocolate caliente / Hot chocolate

Este año pasamos las vacaciones de Navidad en España. No son unas navidades como las de Canadá (hay luces de colores y hace frío pero no en la misma escala) ni como las de Perú (hay árboles de Navidad y regalos, pero no está para ir a la playa). Lo que hay por encima de todo: ¡dulces!

This year we spent Christmas in Spain. They are not Christmas like in Canada (there is colourful lighting and it’s cold but not at the same level) neither like those in Peru (there are Christmas trees and presents, but not in beach weather). What there is above any other thing: sweet treats!  

Lo primero que tuvimos que hacer al llegar fue comprar ropa, porque se extravió la maleta con mis cosas y las de Diego, y no podíamos ir todos los días vestidos igual. Al margen del trastorno, toda oportunidad es buena para comprar ropa.

The first thing we had to do when we arrived was to buy clothes, because the suitcase bringing my stuff and Diego’s went missing, and we could not spend everything wearing the same garments. Aside from the inconvenience, any opportunity is a good one to buy new clothes.

Llegamos diez días antes de Navidad, así que tuvimos tiempo de acomodarnos a la rutina de los abuelos. La parte que a mí más me gustaba era cuando a media mañana el abuelo Pablo decía que era hora del chocolate caliente con churros. No me lo perdía ni un día. Pre también venía, pero el pobre ya no tiene fuerzas como antes y a veces teníamos que parar por el camino para que recobrara el aliento.

We arrived ten days before Christmas, so we had time to adjust to the grandpas’ routine. The part that I liked the most was when mid-morning Grandpa Pablo said that it was time for hot chocolate and churros. I never skipped a day. Pre also came with us, but the poor thing is a bit old and sometimes we had to stop for him to catch his breath.


Hablar en español me costó un poco. Yo pensaba que no sería un problema, pero cuando llegué de repente me pareció muy difícil y no me salía nada. La abuela Nieves se frustraba un poco, porque no nos entendíamos, pero poco a poco me fui soltando y al final las palabras en español empezaron a encontrar el camino. Lo que sí aprendí a decir bien y no se me olvidaba era “chocolate caliente”.

It took me a lot longer than expected to speak in Spanish. I thought it would not be a problem, but when I arrived it felt very difficult all of the sudden and I could not say a word. Grandma Nieves got a bit frustrated, because we did not understand each other, but little by little I started to relax and the words found their way to my mouth. What I learned how to say very well and I did not forget was “chocolate caliente” (hot chocolate).

La prima Katia, que está en España estudiando, se alegró mucho de vernos y quedábamos para pasear e ir a ver sitios. De hecho, se alegró tanto que acabó viniendo con nosotros de viaje cuando nos fuimos a visitar a los tíos y primos de papá en el norte de España.

Cousin Katia, who is in studying in Spain, was very happy to see us and we met often to go out for a walk and visit places. In fact, she was so happy that she ended up coming with us on a trip when we went to visit daddy’s uncles, aunts and cousins in Northern Spain.


Aunque ya hacía varios años desde mi última visita, recordaba vagamente los lugares y las personas. Lo que me tenía confundido era el número de tíos y primos que tengo. Ya sé que no sabía contar hace tres años, pero a mí me da que se han multiplicado desde entonces.

Even though it had been a few years since my last visit, I had a vague memory of places and people. What I was a bit confused about was the number of uncles, aunts, and cousins I have. I know I did not now know how to count three years ago, but I have the impression they have multiplied since.

Después de volver a Aranjuez regresé a la rutina del chocolate caliente con churros y seguimos comiendo dulces hasta que llegó el día de volver a Canadá. Durante un par de semanas habíamos vivido con la ilusión de que estábamos en invierno. La realidad nos esperaba en casa: nieve por todas partes, árboles caídos por la tormenta de hielo, mucho frío, y encima la calefacción de casa se había estropeado.

After returning to Aranjuez I resumed the hot chocolate and churros routine and we continued eating treats until the day to get back to Canada arrived. During a couple of weeks we had lived with the illusion that it was winter. The reality was waiting for us at home: snow everywhere, fallen trees due to the ice storm, cold temperatures, and to top it up, the heating at home did not work.

No fue fácil adaptarse al verdadero invierno, que al igual que el año anterior, se vengó de nosotros por intentar escaparnos unas semanas. Estamos ya en marzo y todo sigue tal y como lo encontramos, eso sí con la calefacción funcionando.

It was not easy to adjust to the real winder, who as it did the previous week, took revenge for trying to escape for a few weeks. It is now March and everything is still the same, but with the heating working, obviously.


A todo esto mi atracción por las princesas empezó a perder fuerza. El abuelo me grababa capítulos de la Princesa Sofía de la televisión en España, pero no sé si fue el desencanto de oírla hablar en español o qué, que poco a poco me apetecía menos verla. Ahora he pasado a la etapa pony (Mi Pequeño Pony) y papá dice que no sabe lo que es peor.

In the midst of all this, my attraction to princesses started to dwindle. Grandpa had recorded Princess Sophia episodes from the Spanish TV, but I don’t know if it was the letdown of listening to her speaking in Spanish or what, but little by little I did not feel like watching the show anymore. Now I have moved to the pony stage (My Little Pony) and daddy says that he does not know what is worse.

En todo caso, y aunque ya no vea los capítulos de la Princesa Sofía aún tengo el disfraz, y me lo pongo a veces para ver Mi Pequeño Pony (me gusta enseñarles mis juguetes) o para jugar a los disfraces, como este día que vino a casa mi amiga Claudia del Busy Bee.

In any case, and even though I don’t see Princess Sophia episodes now, I still have her dress, and I wear it sometimes to watch My Little Pony (I like to show them my toys) or to play costumes, like this day when my friend Claudia from Busy Bee came home.


No comments:

Post a Comment