Saturday, November 19, 2011

A B C D E F G … / A B C D E F G …

El otoño tiene principalmente cuatro cosas que tener en cuenta: 1) se caen las hojas de los árboles; 2) el día de Acción de Gracias; 3) Halloween; y 4) mi cumpleaños. Lo que viene después ya no es otoño, sino la preparación para la Navidad.

The fall has four main things to take into account: 1) the leaves fall from the trees; 2) Thanksgiving Day; 3) Halloween; and 4) my birthday. What comes after that is not fall anymore, but the preparation for Christmas.

Poco después de volver de vacaciones empezaron a caerse las hojas. Me acordaba de cómo era del año pasado, pero esta vez ha sido más divertido porque he podido ayudar a papá a recogerlas.

Soon after we came back from vacation the leaves started to fall from the trees. I remembered it from last year, but this time it has been more fun because I was able to help daddy pick them up.


Alrededor de Acción de Gracias es la época de ir a las granjas a recoger fruta. En Busy Bee nos llevaron a una y por primera vez vi de cerca animales como vacas, ovejas, cerdos o conejos. El fin de semana de Acción de Gracias fuimos a cenar a casa de Cheeyuen y me lo pasé muy bien jugando con los juguetes de Kay.

Around Thanksgiving is time to go to the farms and pick up fruit. At Busy Bee they took us on a trip to one and for the first time had the chance to see animals close up, like cows, sheep, pigs or bunnies. On Thanksgiving weekend we went to Cheeyuen’s for dinner and I had a great time playing with Kay’s toys.

Luego llega Halloween. Mamá me compró este año un traje de mariquita y me dio la sorpresa y apareció en la guardería cuando hacíamos el desfile. Me gustó mucho ver a mamá allí pero luego ya no me quería quedar y volvimos pronto a casa.

Soon after, Halloween arrives to town. This year mommy bought me a ladybug costume and she surprised me showing up at the daycare’s Halloween parade. I liked a lot seeing mommy there, but then I did not want to stay and we ended up returning home early.


Nos vino bien, porque teníamos que preparar la calabaza y esperar a que vinieran los niños a hacer “truco o trato”. Como mamá había comprado chocolatinas este año, los niños estaban contentos y nos chocaban los cinco.

It came handy, because we had to get the pumpkin ready and wait for the kids to start knocking our door for trick or treat. Mommy had bought chocolates this year and the neighbourhood kids gave us high fives.

Y luego llega mi cumpleaños. Este año fue un jueves y papá y mamá me llevaron a cenar. Nos reímos mucho, me dejaron comer patas fritas con ketchup, y para postre me pidieron lo que más gusta: helado de chocolate.

And a couple of weeks later it is my birthday. This year it fell on a Thursday and daddy and mommy took me out for dinner. We laughed a lot, they let me eat fries with ketchup, and for dessert they ordered what I liked the most: chocolate ice cream.

Venía con una vela, y al principio me dio un poco de miedo, porque estaba caliente al acercarse, pero con la ayuda de mis papás la apagamos soplando y me pude comer el helado.

It came with a candle, and in the beginning I was scared, because it was warm when I tried to reach it, but with parents’ help we were able to blow it out and I could eat my ice cream.

La otra sorpresa de cumpleaños fue el regalo de la abuela Chela: una cocina con todos los detalles. Papá se tiró un día entero montándola, pero al final mereció la pena, porque me gusta un montón.

The other birthday surprise was the gift I received from Grandma Chela: a kitchen with all the features. Daddy spent a whole day assembling it, but in the end it was worth it, because I like it a lot.


La verdad es que este otoño, además de las cuatro cosas habituales, ha sido la época de descubrir las palabras. Cada día aprendo alguna nueva. Ya sé cómo llamar a muchos animales: algunos en inglés (bunny (conejo), cow (vaca), zebra (cebra), monkey (mono), fish (pez), lion (león)), algunos en español (caballo, elefante) y otros por el sonido que hacen (cuack (pato), miau (gato), guau (perro), pio (pájaro), beh (oveja), kiriki (gallo)).

The truth is that this fall, besides the four usual things, it has been time for me to discover words. Every day I learn something new. I know how to call many animals: some in English (bunny, cow, zebra, monkey, fish, lion), some in Spanish (caballo (horse), elefante (elephant)) and others by the sounds they make (cuack (duck), miau (cat), guau (dog), pio (bird), beh (sheep), kiriki (rooster)).

Me lo paso muy bien con los libros de animales, poniendo al lado de cada uno pegatinas que corresponden con cada animal, o las piezas del puzle, que además hacen el sonido correspondiente.

I have a lot of fun with books about animals, placing matching stickers beside each picture, or puzzle pieces, which also make the corresponding sound.

Algunas cosas no sé cómo se llaman y les pongo un nombre por asociación hasta que aprenda el nombre de verdad. Por ejemplo, a la comida le llamo “ema” porque mamá siempre dice cuidado que quema. A las estrellas las llamo ”inkles” por la famosa canción “inkle, inkle, little star” y a Mickey Mouse “papo”, porque está en todos mis papos, que es como yo digo pañal. Y es que los de Walt Disney deberían tener más cuidado cuando deciden donde poner a sus personajes.

Some things I don’t know how they are called and I name them by associated things I know until I learn the true name. For example, I call the food “ema” (burning), because mommy always says be careful, it’s burning. I call the stars “inkles” because of the famous song “inkle, inkle, little star” and Mickey Mouse “papo”, because he is in all my papos, which is the name I give to my diapers. I think people at Walt Disney should be more careful about where they place they characters.

Si me gustaban poco las canciones, cada vez me gustan más. Y la que más me gusta de todas es la canción del abecedario. De hecho, cualquier canción puede cambiar sobre la marcha y convertirse en la canción del abecedario.

I liked songs before, but I like them every day more. The one that I like the most is the alphabet song. Indeed, any song can change at any time and turn into the alphabet song.

No comments:

Post a Comment